How We Stand Out
Pictured is a 12 year old home constructed by a high volume production builder. Cullen Brothers recently remodeled the home, and discovered evidence of termite and water damage.
Everyone expects their new custom built home or remodeling project to turn out beautifully! But, just as important as the exterior beauty is the quality of the materials and craftsmanship behind the finishes. After making a major investment in a custom home or remodeling project, who wouldn’t be frustrated by leaks, squeaks, drafts, or anything else that makes the project feel like it just wasn’t built right? At Cullen Brothers, we want our customers to be thrilled with the finished project, and with their decision to work with us. So, we approach every project as if we were building for someone in our own family. Through years of experience, we have developed dozens of procedures to enhance the quality of our homes and remodeling projects. We have listed just a few of these procedures below to highlight some of the differences between us and our competition.
- Cullen Brothers only utilizes the best, most quality conscious and competent subcontractors in the industry who stand behind their work when complete. All subcontractor work is thoroughly inspected. And, equally important, we initiate a constant stream of communication between the owner, us, and the subcontractors.
- Rough Framing:
- Subfloors designed with 60 pounds of loading, limited spans of structural lumber, and ¾” sheathing to reduce deflection and bounce.
- All walls (including interior walls) framed 16” on center for straightness and structural integrity.
- Exterior walls sheathed with 7/16” osb for structural integrity.
- Floor joists and headers are minimum #1 grade southern yellow pine for strength and rigidity.
- All subfloors glued, nailed and screwed to prevent floor squeaks. Seams ground to provide monolithic walking surface.
- Brick ledges are sealed with cavity wall flashing to prevent water infiltration.
- Exterior walls are completely wrapped in Tyveck house wrap, complete with seams taped and proper flashings at all windows and brick ledges, according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
No One Beats Our Attention to Detail
Steel reinforcing is the key to preventing cracks in foundation walls. Cullen Brothers uses substantial reinforcing in all foundation walls.
- All roofs are felted with 15lb asphalt prior to the installation of shingles.
- Footing and foundation concrete is 3500 psi, with steel reinforcement which substantially reduces amount of shrinkage cracking and settlement.
- All foundation concrete is waterproofed with 10 year bituminous waterproofing membrane.
- Electrical wiring and fixtures go beyond the requirements of the code, providing the convenience and comfort that our customers expect, without the lights dimming when an appliance is turned on!
- All of our concrete flatwork is placed over compacted granular fill.
- All mechanical installations are sized and specified professionally by properly trained and experienced craftsmen.